We are in need of specialist services
Specialist refuges are services which are designed to meet the needs specifically of women domestic violence survivors and their children. The specialist and woman-only nature of services ensures that women and children feel safe, secure and supported and removes any barriers to them finding a safe place when they are escaping domestic violence. Specialist refuges help women and children escape, cope and rebuild their lives after domestic violence.
Being in a refuge might be the first safe space that children and young people may have had in a long time. Specialist provision for children and young people from refuge staff is vital as it allows them to have their health and educational needs addressed individually. Children and young people can also explore the impact of the abuse they have experienced in an understanding environment, which can minimise long term negative cognitive, behavioural and emotional effects, enabling them to reach their potential. To find out more about what a refuge is like inside take a tour around our Virtual Refuge on The Hideout website.
Our national network of specialist domestic violence refuges is in crisis like never before:
• Between 2010 and 2014 (July) the number of specialist refuge services decreased from 187 to 155.
• In England, according to Council of Europe recommendations, there is a shortfall of 1,727 refuge bedspaces (32%).
• In one day in 2013, 155 women and their 103 children were turned away from refuge because they could not be accommodated.
• 48% of 167 domestic violence services in England said that they were running services without funding. Six refuge services were being run without dedicated funding and using up their reserves to keep their services going.
• Between April and July 2014, ten specialist domestic violence services across England lost funding for services they were providing. All but one of these nine services lost their services to a non-specialist service provider.
• Our world leading national network of refuges is facing an urgent crisis. Please help us Save Our Services.